Wednesday, March 3, 2010

So today I was at work... I manage a tutoring program at a few local schools... and it was shopping day. The kids earn tokens for their work and every few weeks the get the chance to spend them... They are given the choice to spend the 90 some tokens they had accrued or keep saving them to earn a Border's gift card. They average about 7, so most of them spend. This one girl today was so excited to save... Boarder's is her favorite store.

All of a sudden, she looks at me and says, "I'm moving"... as it's something she's just recalled. I ask her when, and she says "today... after tutoring". I question her about the date but she's adamant. She cashes in her tokens and returns to her seat.

When Mom comes to pick her up she's hurried... almost desperate... asks if she can take her daughter early since they're moving... now.

It's all I can think about. Why the sudden move? Are they in danger? Do they owe money? Is the little girl going to be ok? Everyone has a certain amount of shaky ground to walk from time to time... money problems, personal drama... but something just made me sad... maybe she remembered to say good bye to her friends... maybe not.

Either way, I wonder what she'll have to endure... what she already has... I hope she finds her way to peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment