Friday, April 30, 2010

Sing. Sing a song. Sing out loud. Sing out strong.

Tonight with the little one's in bed I took a rather grown up and unpleasant phone call outside in the driveway. Well, the grown up part is a little debatable... but none the less... when I returned to the house my 7 and 9 year old were sitting in the living room with the TV off and do you know what they were doing? Singing. Just sitting there kind of harmonizing. I stood in the kitchen for a few minutes listening to them talking about the tea they were drinking and singing.

I guess it's moments like that that mean a lot. There's a peacefulness. A hope about their happiness. I would tell you now that although my life is a thousand times busier than it was a year ago, I couldn't be happier. I think as adults we're conditioned to roll through the trials awaiting the glimpses of happiness that appear regularly to let us know it's ok to take a breath... The rest is a mixture of heartbreak, disappointment, challenges and bullshit. That combined with regular doses of mis-interpretation and political maneuvering can make for a bleak existence. Witnessing the singing, or a random act of kindness from the children is renewing on even the toughest of days.

As parents it's easy to overlook such a thing. Or a picture they drew in school. A contest they won. An "A" they got. Even the simple gratitude shown to me by the 4 year old today... she thanked me for calming her down. It was genuine and sincere and I loved how beautiful it was. Getting too wrapped up in the noise of life drowns out the songs. Gotta keep listening for 'em.

1 comment:

  1. Well said My Beautiful. Well said. Thank YOU for bringing to our attention, this simple beauty and for being willing to share it with us all in hopes that it brightens our lives and enlightens our spirits. Just one of many reasons I am SO VERY in Love with You!

    ReplyDelete