Monday, September 6, 2010

Long absence and other misgivings...

So there's school and full time jobs and independent business ownership and vacations and minivans... I don't really have any excuse other than life. Well that and lack of inspiration. I heard someone say blogging is a discipline. I guess it is. Just like parenting. I mean we all have days we're prouder of than others. Working full time is proving to bring out the later...

There's fourth grade and the two hours of homework... there's the little ones getting used to daycare. There's soccer. There's time for Rob and I... grocery shopping, cleaning, the lawn, a blog, and about a million other things I can't even remember to type right now. I suppose all Mom's feel this way at one time or another. I'm calling upon my faith and the resilience of my children to get through this adjustment. At the end of the day, assuming there is one, everything will be alright.

I caught some part of a sitcom recently where the Mom freaks out about how everything is just spiring downward and all is lost... the camera pans to the kids and even the husband and all appear horrified or dumbstruck by the uncertainty... she quickly realizes it and self corrects. She tells them everything is going to be alright. Everything will be OK. There's a lesson in that.... self affirmation... or positive thinking... or maybe just leading by example... whatever it is, the kids, they need it. Even when you don't feel it. They need to know you're still there and that your fighting the good fight. The last scene in that show, pans to the husband who looks at her and says that everything will be alright. The other lesson. Support. Get it. And if you're not, ask for it.

All we can do as parents is the best we can. The outside influences... the jobs and homework and bills and co-parenting... all of it... must be kept in perspective. Either that, or cry in the shower... sometimes that works, too.

1 comment: